Document: Unitatis Redintegratio
Catholics in the Diocese of Superior have a positive attitude toward ecumenism. They are eager to know more about the other Churches and Communions, and they are generally willing to take part in ecumenical events and meetings, especially in common prayer for unity.
- The Week of Prayer for Christian Unity is a principal component of ecumenical action.
- Major liturgical feasts and commemorations are jointly celebrated whenever possible.
- Civic, local and national celebrations are also celebrated with other denominations.
In general, the Diocese of Superior is committed to the ecumenical outlook of the Second Vatican Council. For example,
- The Diocese of Superior recognizes the validity of baptisms of other Christian denominations such that those who seek to become full members of the Catholic faith and who have already been baptized, are not rebaptized.
Problems and Resistance
At the same time we cannot be naive.
- Persistent attitudes of mutual fear, suspicion and mistrust exist. Some of our Catholic faithful have a mistrust towards groups that use the media and public campaigns to criticize Catholic doctrines, or insist on certain negative and scandalous situations to attack the Church.
- Although much has been achieved in places with regard to the purification of historical memories, some local Churches say that the memory of past events, remote or more recent, still impedes or hinders ecumenical relations. The purification of memories is something to which John Paul II has drawn our attention on numerous occasions, and it remains one of the most crucial challenges for those who work for Christian unity.
- Some responses point to a lack of motivation and enthusiasm. In some cases this stems from the suspicion that ecumenism weakens the evangelizing mission of the Church.
- Some Catholics think that ecumenism compromises their faith and is an admission of an insufficiency in the Catholic Church, which they are not ready to accept.
Adapted from http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/chrstuni/documents/rc_pc_chrstuni_doc_20041121_farrell-ecumenismo_en.html
Page under construction. More adaptations and additions will be added to this page.