Seven steps to hiring a Parish Catechetical Leader
- Form a search committee – a committee allows for individuals with specific gifts and talents to assist the pastor in the hiring process. Some duties of a committee are: develop a job description, advertise the position, screen applicants, oversee interviews, make recommendations to the pastor.
- Develop a job description – it is the job description that ultimately determines the kind of knowledge, training and experience needed for a particular role.
- Advertise the position – Include in the ad, a brief description of the parish which includes a location, the work environment and qualifications. Have a process in place for the individual to fill out a Diocesan application form. Post the position in various venues…
- Screen applicants – rank applicants with categories of academic/professional education, work experience (both catechetical and administrative), communication skills, Catholic philosophy/identity, and quality of references. Do not hire anyone without checking references. No one can be hired without a valid background check.
- Conduct interviews – when scheduling interviews, allow adequate time – don’t be rushed. Sometimes adding an informal component of a tour helps see the interviewee in a more natural frame. Be sure to have a list of prepared questions and have each interview consist of those core questions.
- Offer an employment agreement (Letter of Hire) – once a person is hired, be sure to write a letter of initial hire, which indicates a starting date and a beginning salary. This letter officially determines a person’s hire.
- Welcome and support the new PCL – Arrange for someone to officially welcome and introduce the PCL to the parish – staff, catechists, and parishioners. Allow for time for formal orientation to help the new PCL get to know the parish, its needs and its mission.
The Bishop Hammes Center can assist any parish or parish cluster with the hiring process of new Parish Catechetical Leaders including sample documents that were discussed.