The Benedictine monks from
St. Procopius abbey
The Benedictine monks from St. Procopius Abbey in Lisle, IL founded King of Martyrs Benedictine Priory, located southeast of Fifield, in 1914. The priory was established at the invitation of Bishop Koudelka, who hoped Czech settlers would populate the area. As a good faith gesture, Bishop Koudelka entrusted the parish in Phillips to the Benedictines.
Over the next 90 years, Benedictine monks would staff at various times 14 parishes in the Superior Diocese. The monks from St. Procopius closed King Priory in 2001.
The people of the Diocese of Superior continue to pray for the Benedictine monks who served in the diocesese.