The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin.
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
Plans for construction of a Catholic church in Farmington began in 1869. At the time, occasional Masses were celebrated at the home of Patrick Barry on County Line Road and Highway 35. Land was donated and a frame was erected. Strong winds, however, blew the frame over. Building materials were salvaged and taken north three miles to East Farmington and a church was erected there. The new church, a frame building with a capacity of about 150, was dedicated to the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. A parish census in 1873 showed 79 families with 419 members. That year, Fr. Henry Wirtz of Somerset began serving the East Farmington church, among others. He remained there until 1884, when the first resident pastor, Fr. Stephen Duren, arrived. On April, 11, 1931, fire destroyed the frame church in East Farmington. Within two weeks, Fr. Theodore Joerrisen oversaw the building of a new church. Most of the construction work was donated, and cost of the new church was $18,000. Bishop Theodore Reverman dedicated the new church on June 15, 1932. A milestone celebration took place in June 1994 when the parish celebrated its 125th anniversary.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.