The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin. Diocese of Superior - Statistics
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
Bishop Raphael M. Fliss established Holy Family Parish in 2004, bringing together the former parishes of St. Patrick, Minocqua, Our Lady Queen of the Universe, Woodruff and St. John Vianney, Lake Tomahawk.
St. Patrick Parish was established in 1894. It began through the efforts of early settlers who visited area lumber camps for donations to a church building fund. The present church and rectory were constructed in 1962. During its 110-year existence, 25 priests served the parish. Of special note are Fr. J.J. Mayer, the first resident pastor, Msgr. Joseph Mueller, pastor from 1924-1944, and Fr. Joseph Miller, pastor from 1975-2001.
In 1955, Our Lady Queen of the Universe Parish was established in Woodruff. Fr. James A. Taylor served as the first pastor. The new church was dedicated in 1957. Fr. William Green was named pastor in 1968. He was also assigned diocesan director of religious education and opened a Christian Renewal Center next to the church. The center closed in 1900. In 1968, an “Outdoor Cathedral” was created outside of the church with the help of Jesuit Fr. Joseph Hogan, a summer assistant for 25 years. The parish facilities were remodeled and doubled in size in 1989.
St. John Vianney Parish was established in 1959. Fr. John Regh served as its first pastor and also served as director of the retreat house. The first church was moved from Boulder Junction when that parish built a new church. In the summer, Masses were celebrated at the local community center. In 1973, a drive for a new church began when the town needed its community center for other activities.
Under the direction of Fr. James Hoffman, a new church was constructed.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.