The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin. Diocese of Superior - Statistics
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
Holy Rosary Church was established around 1886. Until 1893, various Franciscan priests from Ashland made pastoral visits to Mellen several times a year, celebrating Masses in private homes. Construction of a new church began in 1896, with the first Mass held Sept. 27, 1896
before the church was completed. On Oct. 18, 1897, Bishop James Schwebach of La Crosse made his first visit to Mellen and dedicated the new church. Mass was celebrated once and then twice a month until 1908, when a resident pastor was appointed. In 1913, construction of a new brick church and rectory began. Both were completed by Christmas 1914. The church served parishioners until 1975, when a new church was dedicated — without a bell tower. Eleven years later, thanks to donations from around the country, a new bell tower was erected and dedicated in 1986.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.