The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin.
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
Immaculate Conception Church was founded in 1909. Services were first held in private homes and the Antler’s Hotel. On October 28, 1914, the parish purchased a building from the Swedish Evangelical Congregation with all the furnishings and fixtures for $850. There is no record of the first Mass or dedication. Until this time, missionary priests would come from Bayfield, Superior and Ashland but by about 1915, Fr. James Fagan began making regular calls in the area. In 1919, Fr. Ignatius Kinney began his pastoral work in the area. Fr. Michael Prock followed him in 1921. Fr. Henry Shaney arrived in 1922 and took up residency in Webster, becoming the first resident priest in Burnett County. The newly ordained Fr. Joseph Annabring (later Bishop Annabring) succeeded Fr. Shaney in 1927.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.