The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin.
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
Articles of incorporation were drawn up and signed for the “Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin” in the summer of 1883. Fr. Peter DeParadis purchased a parcel of land from Alexander Russell and transferred the property to the church on December 31, 1883, shortly after the unfinished church burned to the ground. While a new church was being built, plans for a school building were undertaken. St. Mary School opened its doors in 1891. On January 24, 1892, a fire starting in the church basement left most of the building destroyed. Work began on a new church, and by the fall of 1892 it was completed. The church was razed in 1965 and services were held in the school gymnasium until the first Mass was celebrated in the new church on December 8, 1966. With a seating capacity of 900 people (about 400 more than the earlier church), the church was dedicated on June 11, 1967. Changes at St. Mary School began with a new building in 1954 and arrival of the Sisters of St. Joseph. By the early 1980s the last teaching sister left the school. A new look for St. Mary School and the parish Christian formation program brought about a name change for the school building. It became known as the Immaculate Conception Education Center. Plans were made to renovate and add to the existing structure. On September 28, 2003, Bishop Raphael M. Fliss dedicated the education center.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.