The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin. Diocese of Superior - Statistics
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
In 1884, plans were made for construction of the first Catholic church in Glidden. By 1896 the parish had grown to about 75 families, all of German origin. In 1901 plans were made for construction of a new church. The old church was sold for $100, with funds applied to purchase materials for a new church. Lack of finances caused delay in construction, which was completed in 1910. In 1970, construction of the present church began, with a dedication service held in June 1973. The former church, which stood on a hill and was an area landmark, was demolished on August 8, 1997. Following years of neglect that made the landmark, standing about 105 feet tall, a safety hazard and uninsurable, Bishop Raphael M. Fliss approved of the demolition. On May 20, 2000, the “Rev. Charles Meyer Parish Center,” located adjacent to the church was dedicated.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.