The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin.
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
Baptismal records for Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish show that on February 8, 1880, 14 people were baptized at the "Mission at the Mouth of the Yellow River."
There was a small log church at the mission. When it was built is uncertain, but it was dedicated to Our Lady of Perpetual Help. On February 21, 1898, the land and the church were deeded to the Diocese of La Crosse. In July of 1919, a forest fire destroyed the Danbury church. On October 22, 1920, a new church was incorporated in the village of Danbury on the present church site.
In 1955, Fr. Joseph Kelchak was appointed pastor of the Danbury, Crescent Lake and Webster parishes. By this time church membership, including summer residents, increased to the point where a complete renovation and additional space was needed at Our Lady of Perpetual Help.
In 1984, during the pastorate of Fr. John Drummy, the church was again remodeled. Another addition was built in 1990, and for the first time, indoor plumbing was installed at the church. Summer masses are now celebrated around an outdoor altar to accommodate large numbers of summer residents.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.