The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin. Diocese of Superior - Statistics
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
Our Lady Queen of Peace Parish was officially recognized as a mission church on January 1, 1957. In the beginning worshippers flocked to the Manitowish Waters Town Hall for Mass while they planned and prepared for their new church building. To raise money for construction of their new church, women of the parish made and sold donuts every weekend after Masses. The first Mass in the new church was offered on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception in 1958. The men installed and maintained the church landscaping. Under the guidance of Fr. Joseph P. Higgins, Catholic members of the Wisconsin National Guard chose Our Lady Queen of Peace to serve as a memorial to the deceased members of the Red Arrow 32nd Division. These members also gave a substantial contribution to the church’s construction. The church supports and serves the faith for the residents of the Manitowish Waters area as well as that of many summer visitors.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.