The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin. Diocese of Superior - Statistics
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
In 1880, Catholics at Stetsonville decided to separate from the Medford parish. In 1884 the first Mass was celebrated by Fr. William Ritz in the home of Eprias Fountain. In 1885 a frame church was built. Sacred Heart was a mission church served by priests from Medford, Dorchester and Athens until August 1907, when Fr. Henry Lorenz was named resident pastor. In 1910, Bishop
Augustine F. Schinner dedicated Immaculate Heart of Mary Deacon Joseph Roe greets Church in nearby Holway, which was a mission of the Stetsonville parish. The mission closed in 1963.
The original Sacred Heart Church, which had been veneered with brick in 1900, was destroyed by fire in 1949. Bishop Albert G. Meyer dedicated the present church in June 1950. The present rectory was built in 1956. A gathering space was added to the church in 2002, with a chairlift to make the church and parish hall handicapped accessible. Sacred Heart was clustered with the Medford parish from July 1986 to June 1989.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.