The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin. Diocese of Superior - Statistics
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
Sacred Heart Church began through the efforts of Fr. Henry Teuwisse. He purchased the building known and used as the George Washington School house and in 1919 it served as the first church. The spiritual life of the parish was supplied for several years by Fr. Joseph Gleisner an Fr. John Balcer. For nearly 20 years, Fr. Walter Tabencki served as pastor. In February 1943, Fr. Theodore Lesniak was appointed pastor. It was through his endeavors, along with the encouragement of Bishop William O’Connor and the sacrifice of parishioners, that a new church was built in 1945. In 1948, Fr. Francis Sirek was appointed pastor. Fr. Leonard Lewandowski succeeded him in 1952. During this time a new electric organ was purchased for the church.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.