The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin.
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
In 1908, nine pioneer families were determined to build a Catholic church in Crescent Lake.
On February 25, 1909, Anthony Omerink deeded land for a church and cemetery to the Diocese of Superior. The families cut and sawed the trees for lumber and mixed cement for the foundation by hand. In 1910 a 24- foot-by-36-foot foundation was poured.
The church was dedicated to St. Monica, but a storm blew the framework down. The families salvaged all the lumber they could and built a smaller, 20-foot-by-30-foot structure, dedicating the new church to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
In 1918, the Crescent Lake Church, as it was known, became a mission of Webster and Mass was celebrated one Sunday each month. Around 1927, an influx of summer tourists led to Mass being celebrated twice each month. The following year a 14-foot addition was built for the sacristy.
By 1957 the growing parish required a new church. The small white church was sold, moved from the site and became a private home. In 1978 a building addition was constructed to accommodate the large summer Mass attendance. The La Crescent Room was also remodeled, expanding the kitchen and dining hall and providing room for a library, classes and meeting rooms.
The late Fr. Edward Senn, who became pastor at Crescent Lake in 1967, was a native son of the parish. It was his grandfather, Anthony Omerink, who donated the property for the original Crescent Lake church and cemetery.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.