The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin. Diocese of Superior - Statistics
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
St. Albert the Great Church's history began in 1930, when Fr. Arthur Shank, pastor of St. Mary Church in Rhinelander, saw the need for Sunday Mass in Land O'Lakes. Fr. Shank obtained the services of the Norbertine Fathers of DePere, WI, who assisted him during the summer months. This agreement was continued during the pastorates of Fr. Peter Rivers and Fr. Eric Kemmerling of Eagle River. In 1939 a fund for erection of a church was started. The original plan was to build a small mission church, but Fr. Kemmerling petitioned Bishop Albert G. Meyer of Superior to create a parish. It was the first parish established by Bishop Meyer, and in appreciation it was named St. Albert the Great. On June 14, 1946, Fr. Austin Corrigan was appointed its first pastor, with missions in Phelps and Sayner. The church was erected during the winter of 1948-1949. Bishop Meyer, who later became Cardinal Meyer of Chicago, dedicated it on June 28, 1949. A growing congregation, including many tourists and summer residents, necessitated building two additions during the pastorates of Fr. Vincent Walkowski and Fr. Joseph Canfield.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.