The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin.
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
Whether as a mission church of Bayfield or Ashland, a parish with mission churches of its own, or in its present cluster with St. Joseph Parish in Hayward, St. Ann Parish has been a presence in Cable for over a century.
From the beginning, Polish American Catholics have been a notable presence at St. Ann. Masses were first celebrated in private homes before a small church was built around 1905. The present building was completed in 1968 and saw a major renovation in 2001. A new bell tower was constructed in 2003 for the original church bell, named around 1909 for St. Casimir.
One of the most memorable events in the parish's history occurred in March 1960 when John F. Kennedy visited the parish during a campaign stop in Cable. Fr. Robert Szyma, pastor, who was a survivor of the Nazi prison camp in Dachau, Germany, greeted him.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.