The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin.
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
In the early 1900s, Cornucopia was beginning development directed by Thomas J. Stevenson. Included in the plans was a Catholic church. With about 45 Catholics in the town at the time, Stevenson donated land in 1914 for a church to be built. These Catholics had previously been served by the Franciscan Fathers of Bayfield, or had attended services in Red Cliff or the Belanger Settlement.
Under the direction of one of the Franciscans serving in Bayfield, Fr. Agatho Anklin, and the construction of St. Ann Church began in 1914. Dedication took place in 1918 under the pastorate of Fr. John Meyers.
An annex was added in 1963 to accommodate the needs of summer visitors and to provide a social area for about 75 people.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.