The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin.
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
Located just off of U.S. Highway 2, St. Ann Church was built in 1896. Prior to this, Mass was celebrated in an old log school. The present church was erected in 1908. Logging, mining and dairy farming were the mainstays of the community in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. A peacetime economy in the 1950s brought closure to many of the mines and a slow down of the logging industry. During its first century, more than 35 priests have served St. Ann, and it has belonged to a number of different parish clusters. Although the parish membership is small, ministers are thriving. Nearly every parishioner is involved in one or more ministries. Established in 1926, the Confraternity of the Holy Rosary has evolved into the St. Ann Service Club and carries on outreach and service to the community.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.