The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin.
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
In 1882, 16 years before the founding of the Village of Turtle Lake, the first St. Ann Church was built by Fr. Peter DeParadis on land south of the present church. Fr. Charles Schwaab became pastor in 1922 and he planned, designed and helped build the present church. Fr. Henry Gozanski was appointed pastor in 1958 by Bishop Joseph J. Annabring with the mandate to provide proper facilities for religious instruction and social activities. The present parish center was completed in 1964. Lightning struck the church in 1980, causing a fire that heavily damaged the interior. Under Fr. Austin Corrigan’s guidance, the church was repaired.
In 1983, St. Ann Parish was clustered with Sacred Heart Parish in Almena. In 2002, St. Anthony the Abbot Parish in Cumberland was added to the cluster, which serves as home for the cluster pastor.