The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin.
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
St. Anne Church began in 1938, with Masses being celebrated in the town hall. There were as few as eight to 10 people in the winter. Under the direction of Msgr. Michael Prock, the congregation moved to a small white Burlington stone church on July 26, 1960, the feast day of St. Anne. It was erected at a cost of approximately $125,000. In June of 1958, Bishop Joseph Annabring elevated the Boulder Junction mission to parish status and appointed Fr. James Gutzler as first resident pastor. Because of the many vacationers in the region during summer, the original church was too small and a combination church and rectory was planned. Seating capacity of the church is more than 400.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.