The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin. Diocese of Superior - Statistics
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
Founded in 1895, St. Anne Parish is located in the Village of Sanborn in northern Ashland County. The first Mass celebrated in the area was at the home of Joseph Dausault in 1892 by Franciscan Chrysostom Verwyst of Ashland. In November of 1895, Mr. and Mrs. J. Roehm deeded four acres of land to Bishop James Schwebach of La Crosse. Fr. Patrick Degraa dedicated the church, built under the direction of Dausault, in 1899. In 1905 the parish became a mission of St. Ann Parish in Saxon. Previously served by Franciscan Fathers of Ashland, St. Anne came under direction of priests of the new Diocese of Superior. In 1909, a bell tower was added to the original structure. In 1939, St. Anne mission was turned over to the Society of the Precious Blood religious order. Ten members of the order served the parish until 1988, when the Franciscans returned to serve. Today St. Anne is part of a five-parish cluster, along with parishes in Mellen, Glidden, Highbridge and Clam Lake.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.