The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin. Diocese of Superior - Statistics
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
Originally founded in the rural farmland near Silver Creek, later called Highbridge for the tall wooden train trestle built over the creek, St. Anthony Church was served by the Franciscan Fathers who came from Ashland by train. Baptisms were recorded as early at 1894, before the church was built in 1898 on land donated to the parish by the Diocese of La Crosse and W.E. Dillon. Among the first baptisms recorded in the new building was that of an infant who went on to become the church organist for many years, establishing early on that the cherished tradition of music in the parish. In fact, the brother of the organist, son of a musician who emigrated from Bohemia, is remembered as loudly patting his foot to the music in the choir loft. The choir loft was part of an addition in 1953. Precious Blood Fr. Joseph Graf, who was pastor at the time, did much of the work himself, helping to keep down the cost of the project. Donations of furnishings, a communion rail and the church bell were also welcomed. A new entry to the church was completed in 2002.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.