The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin.
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
St. Anthony Parish was incorporated on December 17, 1900, although the church was not built until 1902. Fr. Joseph Hermann was the first pastor. The Weyerhaeuser Lumber Company donated land for the church in 1900, as workers in the lumber mill originally populated the community. At the time the church was built, Lake Nebagamon was a flourishing community with 600 mean employed at the saw mill. After lumbering declined, Lake Nebagamon began growing as a tourist center because of the town’s setting and pristine lake. As a result people from around the country make St. Anthony their summer parish. In anticipation for the church’s 75th anniversary, the church redecorated in the summer of 2000, and a new illuminated church sign was erected. In 2004-05 a new parish center was constructed. Adult formation, bible studies and outreach programs led by ladies committees are part of parish life.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.