The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin.
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
St. Catherine Parish started with the settlement of Frank Sauer Sr. and his family in Sarona. The Sauer children would walk the Narrow Gauge Railroad track to Shell Lake for religious instruction. When other families moved to the area, a neighboring priest would call to celebrate Mass, often in the Sauer home. St. Catherine began as a mission of Holy Trinity Church in Haugen. It was constructed in 1917 on land donated by the Sauer Family, and financed largely by a $5,000 donation from Catholic Extension Society. The original church sat about 40 people. A renovation in 1986 increased seating capacity to 99, added a basement, entryway and bathrooms. In 2002, a large donation of land increased the church parking lot’s size. Today St. Catherine is part of a parish cluster along with St. Francis de Sales in Spooner and St. Joseph in Shell Lake, with Fr. Ed Anderson serving as pastor.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.