The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin. Diocese of Superior - Statistics
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
According to baptismal records, Flambeau served as a mission of Chippewa Falls as early at 1866. In 1879, the Franciscan Friars were given charge of the mission. They built a church starting in the spring of 1880. Bishop Kilian Flasch of La Crosse dedicated St. Francis of Assisi Church in 1881. In 1884, a 26 by 30 ft. dwelling was erected in the rear of the church building. Records show that a Franciscan Fr. John Gafron served the mission from 1879 to 1882, traveling by foot from Bayfield. In 1907, Bishop Augustine Schinner assigned Fr. Peter Rice, pastor of St. Mary Church in Bruce, to serve as pastor of St. Francis. It remained a mission church of St. Mary until 1989, when it was assigned to St. John Parish of Sheldon. In 1999, St. Francis became part of a cluster with Bruce, Weyerhaeuser and Strickland. St. Francis celebrated its centennial in 1981 and still remains. It is listed on the historical registry. In 1994, under the pastorate of Fr. Gerard Willger, the church was renovated. The original church building became the church hall. A new church was built onto the existing building, replacing the old rectory built in 1884. Today, St. Francis serves the lake front community of the Lake Holcombe area.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.