The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin. Diocese of Superior - Statistics
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
The history of St. Isaac Jogues and Companions Church dates back to 1912, when Mass was celebrated once each month at the home of the Rugee family. Fr. P.F. Meyer from Hurley began plans to build a church in 1937. In June 1938, Fr. Meyer celebrated Mass in the new church near Mercer Lake. When a rectory was built in 1947, the original window panes in the old church were removed and stained glass windows were installed. These windows now hang on the back wall of the sanctuary in the new church. For many years, beginning in 1949, students from Manitowish Waters, Winchester and Mercer were bussed to St. Ambrose Catholic School in Ironwood, MI, to receive a Catholic education. The used school bus chalked up over 9,000 miles transporting students. By the mid-1970s, it was apparent that the small church needed to be replaced. In 1978, Chester and Eva Haines donated adjacent land for the new church. On April 24, 1978, the Superior Diocese gave approval for the project. For many years second collections and numerous fund raisers were held to raise money for a new church. Finally, in 1987, the church was built. The first services were held on Easter Sunday in 1987. On August 16, 1987, Bishop M. Fliss dedicated the new St. Isaac Jogues and Companions Church.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.