The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin.
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
The history of St. John Parish dates back to 1890, when a group of families welcomed visiting priests into their homes for Mass. In 1913, the parish became a mission of St. Joseph Parish in Amery. At that time, with the help of the Catholic Church Extension Society and the parish founders, a church was purchased from the Congregational Church for $1,000.
The parish started with about 11 families and increased to over 45 by 1937. Between 1937 and 1955, the parish grew and a larger church was needed.
In 1955 Clear Lake was assigned their first resident pastor. Under the guidance of Fr. Charles Haefner, ground was broken for a new church on July 29, 1956. The first Mass was celebrated on Easter Sunday of 1957.
A new parish center was constructed in 1998 under the guidance of Fr. Joseph Trinka.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.