The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin. Diocese of Superior - Statistics
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
In 1955, Bishop Joseph J. Annabring approved the construction of a rectory in Sheldon. Masses were held in the rectory basement for the first six years until the current church building was erected in 1962. In the fall of 2001, the church underwent a major renovation. A new entrance with a large gathering area, a handicapped lift, cry room and baptistery were added. Today, the present church meets the needs of all who come to worship. Two parishioners have served on the Diocesan Pastoral Council, and two parish women have served as presidents of the Superior Diocesan Council of Catholic Women. In 2005, St. John Parish celebrated 50 years as a worshipping community. Over the 50 years they have worked together, making visible their faith and always embracing their future.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.