The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin. Diocese of Superior - Statistics
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
It is believed that the first Mass celebrated in Prentice was in 1886, and presumably in a private home. In 1892, a small church was built in Prentice and was first known as St. Joseph's Mission. The name later changed to St. Mary's in 1895. Within the 16 counties that comprise the Diocese of Superior, the Prentice mission was number 44 in chronological order of founding parishes and missions. It was a mission of Medford, later Phillips, followed by Fifield. Since 1955, it has been a mission of Catawba. In February 1959, it was announced that a new church would be built in Prentice under the patronage of St. John the Baptist. The first Mass was celebrated on midnight Christmas Eve of that year. The church was dedicated on August 17, 1960. In 2001, St. John's became clustered with St. Therese, Phillips.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.