The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin.
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
St. Joseph Church was incorporated in October 1907. In 1909, the old Ward School was purchased for $500 and moved to there lots on East LaSalle, which were purchased for $200. Up until 1941, St. Joseph was attached as a mission of Chetek. By 1944, the parish had grown to 60 families and Fr. Roman Fassbender was appointed pastor. Since that time, many major improvement have taken place: a rectory was purchased in 1941; a new church was built in 1957; the church and rectory were joined together in 2002 to provie more worship space; religious education classroom and office space were added.
St. Joseph Parish includes a diverse cultural community. Each December the parish celebrates the feats of Our Lady of Guadalupe with a Mass celebrated in Spanish. Special summer events include a summer Mexican fiesta and Divine Mercy Sunday observance.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.