The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin.
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
In 1868 the Osceola area became part of the new Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, which was established six miles south of Osceola in Farmington. In 1910, it became apparent that parishioners from Osceola, Dresser and Nye needed a church of their own which could be tended as a mission from Farmington. In 1914, four lots were acquired in what was then the north part of Osceola. The original frame church was erected there on the corner of Chieftain Street and Seventh Avenue. Following the church dedication, Mass was celebrated twice a month in Osceola. Since 1940, parishioners have gathered for Mass every Sunday. In 1959, a home was purchased to serve as a rectory for Fr. John Tomre, the first resident pastor. Foreseeing the need for a larger church, Fr. James Taylor, who was named pastor in 1966, arranged for the purchase of four lots adjacent to the church. Later, seven and one-half acres were purchased on the corner of Highway 35 and Tenth Avenue, on the north edge of Osceola. Construction on a multi-purpose building and rectory began on September 15, 2969. The first Mass was celebrated in the new parish center on May 10, 1970, and dedication took place on October 4. Planning for construction of a new church began in 1980. Groundbreaking took place in July 1981 and Bishop Raphael M. Fliss dedicated the church on August 8, 1982. After Fr. Dan Dahlberg became pastor in 1994, he oversaw the building of an office complex at the parish center.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.