The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin. Diocese of Superior - Statistics
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
In 1898, the town of Sugar Camp was established from the towns of Gagen and Pelican. Settlers of Polish descent began moving into the area around 1895 to work in the lumber and logging business. In 1898, the Brown Brothers Lumber Company sold a portion of land to the Diocese of Green Bay for $1. The land is the site of the present St. Kunegunda Church. Bishop Sebastian G. Messmer dedicated the church on Aug. 13, 1899. In 1905, the parish became part of the new Diocese of Superior. The parish was first a mission of St. Mary Church in Rhinelander, then St. Peter the Fisherman in Eagle River, and St. Joseph in Rhinelander. Today it is a mission of St. Theresa Church in Three Lakes. On August 23, 1971, construction began on a new brick church. The original cornerstone and steeple were used in the new church, which was dedicated on August 27, 1972. The church celebrated its centennial in 1998.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.