The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin.
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
Minong's first church was a small log cabin built by eight French families whose descendants remain in the area. A Franciscan priest from Ashland came by horse and buggy every two months to administer the sacraments. A larger church was built in 1904. Under the guidance of Fr. Augustine Gagnon, pastor at Solon Springs, Minong's Mary Immaculate became the first mission church in Washburn County. In 1951, an extensive remodeling project was undertaken. It included a new sacristy, furnace and complete renewing of the entire interior, with new pews and altar. The Catholic Extension Society helped with a gift of $1,000. The addition cost about $12,500, and was dedicated by Bishop Albert G. Meyer on July 1, 1951. As Minong's population and summer residents increased, the present church was built and dedicated by Bishop George A. Hammes in 1974. At the time of the dedication ceremony the name of the church was changed to St. Mary of Minong. In another special ceremony of June 29, 1980, the mortgage was burned. St. Mary's continues to serve a core community of full-time parishioners while welcoming vacationers and summer residents who enjoy the beauty of the area and its recreational activities.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.