The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin. Diocese of Superior - Statistics
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
In 1908, St. Mary Church opened on School House Hill overlooking North Twin Lake. St. Mary was a mission church of St. Peter the Fisherman in Eagle River until 1946, when it became a mission of St. Albert the Great in Land O'Lakes. In the early days, services were offered only monthly. By 1929, summer services were held weekly to meet the needs of summer visitors. In 1971, with 39 registered families, ground was broken for a new church. Plans were 10 years in the making. Bishop George A. Hammes dedicated the church on July 30, 1972. A new bell tower and grotto were added, along with a glass enclosure at the church entrance, in 1977. During the Jubilee Year 2000, St. Mary entered into a sister-parish relationship with St. Michel du Archange in Fond Jean-Noel, Haiti. Through the parish's support, a new school was built at St. Michel. On May 2, 2004, a "Mary Path" was dedicated in the wooded area east of St. Mary Church. The path allows walkers to pray the Stations of the Cross or rosary or meditate on the beauty of nature.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.