The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin. Diocese of Superior - Statistics
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
St. Michael the Archangel Church was organized in 1892 when the first priest, Franciscan Fr. Casimir Hueppe, came to Iron River from Ashland. The first Mass celebrated in Iron River was in the Seuymour Hotel (still standing and now called the Ideal Restaurant). The current church and rectory were built on land donated to the parish by John A. Pettingill on January 9, 1893. Pettingill was not a member of the Catholic community, but his wife was. On December 7, 1949, tragedy struck the church. Faulty wiring caused a fire and destroyed part of the sanctuary and part of the roof. The current church has existed as it is since 1964 when a major renovation occurred. The community of St. Michael has become very ecumenical minded, participating in services with the Lutheran, Presbyterian, and Baptist churches of the area.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.