The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin. Diocese of Superior - Statistics
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
St. Peter Parish, part of Our Northwoods Catholic Cluster, began serving the Slovak and Croatian immigrants in Dauby, a rural area west of Ashland, in 1916.
The original wood frame building still houses the church, although significant improvements were made. A partial basement was built in 1947, a kitchen, social hall and restrooms were added in 1995, and a shrine in honor of Our Lady of Lourdes was constructed in 1972.
Although always a mission parish (first of St. Michael the Archangel Parish in Iron River, later of Ss. Peter and Paul in Moquah, and, since 1992, of St. Michael again), St. Peter Parish is committed to faith formation and development with an active religious education program for youth. Adult programs include Bible study, altar society and a Knights of Columbus chapter.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.