The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin.
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
St. Peter the Fisherman Parish was established in 1890 when logging operations were drawing people to Vilas County. Over the ensuing decades, as the Eagle River community developed into a premier vacation destination, meeting the needs of its many visitors became one of the parish’s top priorities. The small frame church built in 1890 was replaced in 1948 by a larger brick church, which could accommodate simultaneous upstairs and downstairs Masses in the summer months. On May 18, 2002, Bishop Raphael M. Fliss dedicated a new, larger, split-faced masonry church, which features a circular design and two wings that open to handle the influx of seasonal worshippers. In the process, the parish moved out of the busy downtown area to a secluded spot along Highway G northwest of the city. Plans are in place for a new education center, gymnasium, and social hall. Solid music ministry, youth programs, varied educational offerings, social outreach, women’s ministries, civic involvements, and lay ministry development characterize the parish’s life. One cherished piece of the parish’ life that was recently concluded was its 77-year history of operating a parochial school. Realizing and advancing the other components of its stated dreams for the 21st century remain the central hope and challenge of this noted Northwoods parish.
REFERENCE: Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
by Sam Lucero, 2005.