The history of the Diocese of Superior dates back to the 17th century. Our Journey Through Faith offers a glimpse into the historic events that played a role in the growth of Catholicism in Northern Wisconsin. Diocese of Superior - Statistics
Our Journey through Faith: A History of the Diocese of Superior,
Prior to 1908, an occasional visiting priest celebrated Mass in the public school for the Catholic families of Winter. A frame church, with seating for 125 persons, was completed in the spring of 1909 at a cost of $2,300. Fr. Walter Beaudette, pastor for 15 months, supervised the building. The Catholic Extension Society donated the pews and the altar to the mission and Bishop Augustine F. Schinner donated the sacristy furnishings. Resident Joe LeBoeuf donated land for the church.
Fr. Beaudette celebrated the first Mass in the new church on Sunday, July 25, 1909. Mass was celebrated once a month. Eight years and four pastors later, Fr. Henry Teuwisse became pastor. He succeeded in paying the $900 debt on the church building. On June 15, 1921, Fr. Joseph Gleisner was appointed pastor of St. Peter Church. He initiated a building fund to renovate the church. In 1922, a baptismal font and votive stand were donated through the Extension Society. In 1924, a sanctuary was added on one side of the church and two rooms on the other to serve as a residence for the priest in charge. At the same time, a full basement with a furnace was installed at a cost of $4,664, raised partly by the parish, numbering about 30 families. However, the basement proved unsuitable for regular use.
In 1931, Fr. Ludwig Bohle was appointed pastor and found a badly neglected church and no funds for needed repairs. Bishop Theodore H. Reverman ordered a rectory built with funds obtained from the Home Missions Committee. The basement was also equipped with a wooden floor, plasterboard and kitchen facilities. On July 11, 1934, the church celebrated its 25th anniversary of the dedication.